Friday, August 21, 2009

Me, a Martyr ?

Well, it is Friday, the Friday before school starts. I have been thinking a lot about what it might mean to be a martyr in education. Does it mean that you are willing to sacrifice your own happiness for the good of the students? Does it mean that you are willing to do the things that need to be done regards of whose responsibility they might be without care of repercussions?


At what point can you leave your work at work? There have been many times when I have wondered why I haven't chosen a profession where I could easily leave my work at work. Why couldn't have become a mechanic? Get greasy and then go home.


With all of these thoughts of sacrifice and other professions at the beginning of a new school year, it also brings up some more positive thoughts. New school year = new group of students. New group of students = fresh start for our staff and programs to solve and tweak some of the hiccups from last year. New school year = new roll out of ideas and plans to improve the school. It is a great time to stoke the fire and get excited about educating the future. New school year = time to see old friends and catch up after adventures, trips, births, and other wonders of life. Giggling and key scavenger hunters are always good times.


Will I ultimately die in the name of education? I think my wife hopes not and I think do too. At times it does feel that I will die from the lack of commitment and responsibility that others show. Does it affect me? . . . . . . . . . Yes . . . . . . . should it . . . . . . . . not as much as it does . . . . . . . with some new key staff members I think we should have a better balance of true educators.


Public Education . . . . . . Ready . . . . . . Set . . . . . . . Go . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment